Monday, December 15, 2008

Facebook Pro Page warning

Well, I just took down my pro facebook page after reading the fine print on the copyright info. Sorry to have steered some of you in the wrong direction. I don't feel it's safe to post art on Facebook when they state under terms and conditions:

"When you post User Content to the Site, you authorize and
direct us to make such copies thereof as we deem necessary in
order to facilitate the posting and storage of the User Content
on the Site. By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you
automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you
have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable,
perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide
license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly
perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in
whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any
purpose on or in connection with the Site or the promotion
thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into
other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize
sublicenses of the foregoing."

Oh well...live and learn. And thank you Kate for your wise warning!

3 comments:

Alicia PadrĂ³n said...

Hey Phyllis,

I was going to leave a comment about what Kate said, and saw you already saw it on my blog.

I really didn't know about this either. Nw that I'm reading what you posted I'm more concerned. I didn't see this when I went to check it up the second time! Oh well, better be safe than sorry right?

Still, thanks so much for your inspiration and ideas Phyllis, really! I'm on my way to deleting it too. It makes no sense they would have such an awful copyright clause!!

Kathleen Rietz said...

Thanks everyone, but really I would not have known about this at all if Crystal Driedger hadn't posted about it on her blog. I guess she had a pro page, too, and a fried of hers alerted her. You can never be too careful! Really!

Lori McDonough said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and found this post about FB pro pages. I am so disappointed! I just put mine up there! I guess I need to pull it right down. So disheartening. Thanks, so much for the warning. I'll be bookmarking your blog. Your illos are fantastic. My very first book is being published this week! Have a great day!